CrewLounge PILOTLOG grabs the OOOI (OUT, OFF, ON, IN) hours from ACARS display. Press the ACARS button on the Flight Add/Edit page in the mobile app. No internet required, this feature works on-device (iOS).
The ACARS data capture feature is available in all plans of CrewLounge PILOTLOG, also in the free Student Edition.
ACARS data capture is using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology in combination with IDP (Intelligent Document Processing).
OCR is never 100% failproof. The success rate depends on several factors, such as;
- camera resolution - use the highest available resolution
- photo perspective - hold your phone perfectly parallel to the display
- display reflection - avoid a reflection of yourself (white uniform), do not use a flash
- display cleanliness - avoid combination of dust, stripes and sunlight
If you experience reading errors, please contact the Helpdesk with a copy of the image!
How to make a picture?
There is no need to capture the "screen only". It's fine to grab a few buttons from CDU keyboard, as you can see in the images below. Some cameras can't focus if you get too close, so it's actually better to keep some distance and get a sharp image.
However, the fewer buttons around the display, the greater the chance of a successful reading. If your camera cannot focus up close, use the 'Document scanner' function.
The built-in document scanner will automatically detect and grab the CDU screen, as shown here:
If the document-scanner is not available on your phone (iOS / Android / Huawei), or you just don't like it, you can also use the default camera.
There is just 1 important key point: You must align the camera with the top of the display!
When you press the Insert Data button:
- Hours (Out/Off/On/In) from the ACARS are stored in your flight record. Any hours that are already in the flight record, are overwritten.
- Hours from the ACARS are converted from UTC to the time mode of your app (UTC, Local, Base).
- Some avionics show current flight and last flight on the same page (e.g. Boeing 787 Dreamliner). For these displays, the CURRENT FLIGHT hours are taken, if complete. Else, the PREVIOUS FLIGHT hours are taken.
- DEP / ARR airfields from the ACARS are stored in your flight record, unless the flight record already has airfields logged.
- FLIGHT ID from the ACARS is stored in your flight record, unless the flight record already has a flight number logged.
- Depending on your airline, the Flight ID is not the real flight number, but your ATC call sign.
- Fuel from the ACARS is never processed.
We currently support 60 different ACARS and AVIONICS systems. Here is an overview:
- various manufacturers (Honeywell, EASy, Rockwell Collins, Teledyne, Thales, ...)
- different aircraft models (Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, Dassault, de Havilland, ...)
- different custom tailored layouts (Qatar, KLM, FedEx, Turkish, Saudi, ...)
- different types of displays (FMS CDU, AVIONICS, EFB, ...)
If your ACARS type is not supported, send us some pictures and we'll try to add it. Here are a few images:
Airbus - Honeywell FMS
Airbus 350 - Avionics
Boeing & Embraer - Honeywell FMS
Boeing 777-787 - Displays
Dassault Falcon - EASy
Boeing 737 - Teledyne ACARS